Sponsoring a Japan Visa for a Maid, Nanny, Housekeeper, or other Personal Help


In many countries it is not unusual for expat families (especially those with children) to have a nanny to assist with the children and a maid / housekeeper to look after the house. In addition, an expat family may have a driver, cook, and other personal help.

This situation is especially common in the Middle East and in Southeast Asia.

The situation faced by expat families in Japan is quite different. In addition to salaries being substantially higher than those found in the Middle East and the rest of Asia, it can be difficult to obtain a Japan visa for maids, nannies, housekeepers, and other personal help.

As we will note below, the most important aspect of the visa application is that anyone wishing to work in Japan as a housekeeper, etc., requires a sponsor. However, only very limited categories of foreigners are eligible to sponsor such a visa.

Basic Requirements

In order to obtain a Japan visa for a Maid, Nanny, Housekeeper, etc. there are three main requirements as follows:

  1. The person seeking to sponsor the visa must hold one of the following status of residence in Japan:
    1. Investor / Business Manager
    2. Legal / Accounting Services
  2. The sponsor must also satisfy a number of additional requirements that typically include:
    1. The sponsor may be required to have at least one child under the age of 13 years of age, or
    2. A spouse who is unable to assist in running the household due to illness or incapacity.
  3. Finally note that there are minimum compensation requirements.

If approved, the housekeeper may obtain a Designated Activities Visa.

Finally it can be noted that, in addition to the above, it may be possible for individuals holding a Diplomat Visa or Official Visa to sponsor a housekeeper. Certain members of the US military may be eligible to act as a sponsor.

If you are considering sponsoring a Japan visa for a Maid, Nanny, Housekeeper, etc. it is strongly recommended that a certified immigration specialist be engaged.

The above is provided for general information purposes only and does not constitute advice to undertake or refrain from undertaking any action. Only qualified Japanese professionals are able to advise on Japan immigration, legal, and tax matters.